The Reverend Anthony Hedley excavated at the site in the 1830’s and built the cottage of Chesterholm which is now the museum building. The first more scientific excavations were carried out by Eric Birley in the 1930's. The Vindolanda Trust was established in 1970 with the aim of excavating the Vindolanda site for the education of the public and since then have continuusly excavated the site for almost 50yrs.