"Two destinations | One ticket | A great day out"
"A guide to your perfect day out on Hadrian’s Wall"
YOU CHOOSE WHERE TO START YOUR VISIT
Either site can be visited first - just reverse the itinerary if you wish to start at Vindolanda
Below is a suggested itinerary for a day trip for both sites, starting at the Roman Army Museum and finishing at Roman Vindolanda,
If time or weather doesn't permit, with a Joint Site Ticket
you can come back another day to complete your visit to both our sites.
- Arrive at the Roman Army Museum, using our travel information if required.
- Your journey into the role of the army in the Roman Empire begins.
- After your visit, take a wander around our museum shop with a great affordable range of gifts and souvenirs.
Roman Army Museum is an indoor 'all-weather' attraction
- There are picnic tables in The Roman Army Museum car park ( and also in the museum grounds at Vindolanda )
- Food is available at both our sites, find out more in our Where To Eat section.
- Transfer to Vindolanda - by car, about 15 minutes by following the line of Hadrian’s Wall through the scenic Northumbrian countryside.
If time permits you can add a visit to the superb section of Hadrian's Wall at Walltown Crags next to the Roman Army Museum — allow about 45 minutes.
- Arrive at Roman Vindolanda, using our travel information if required.
- Your visit to 40+ years of active archaeology brings this Roman frontier site and its people straight from the past right into the present.
- To complete your visit, why not take a look in our shop with great affordable range of books, gifts and souvenirs..
- Before you set off home, why not enjoy a drink and a homemade treat at our coffee shop.
- You can see more of the site on the return to your transport.
If you have different requirements such as time or other constraints please do not hesitate to contact us, our dedicated team will be delighted to help you.